AT THE ADELAIDE TOWN HALL MAIN FOYER As part of the 2015/16 Adelaide City Council Emerging Curators Program
Close to Home is a multidisciplinary exhibition exploring our relationship with the ‘home’ through the visual motif of the house. It aims to traverse the varying associations we have with the house – a term that extends to any structure in which we reside – and the ways in which this is represented or challenged through contemporary art.
South Australian regional artists working in any wall-based practice, are invited to submit an expression of interest to take part in this exhibition. Following a successful 2014/15 collaboration, Country Arts SA has again partnered with the Adelaide City Council Emerging Curator to facilitate this exciting exhibition. Curator, Joanna Kitto, will work with the Visual Arts Coordinator to select up to five (5) regional artists , to show alongside selected metro artists in the Adelaide Town Hall Main Foyer from Thursday 14 April—Friday 3 June 2016.
Close to Home traverses the various ways we relate to the place in which we live. We invite you to represent or challenge notions of home through your selected works, mining the many facets of our living space for inspiration.
For a full curatorial rational please see information below
OPPORUNITY NOTES AND CRITERIA:
- Artists are expected to submit existing artworks for exhibition. The timelines are short and there is no artist fee payable so existing work is the most suitable.
- Artworks can be in any medium, including painting, photography textiles, glass, ceramic, metal, wood and jewellery. However, artworks MUST be able to hang on the wall, or be displayed in a cabinet. The exhibition is to be held in the large space within the Town Hall foyer gallery, where other catered events are held each week (with tables etc. set up). Please contact the Country Arts SA Visual Arts Coordinator to discuss installation techniques.
- Selected artists will work with the ACC Emerging Curator and Country Arts SA’s Visual Arts Coordinator to plan freight, artists’ statements and other exhibition requirements.
There is no artist fee being paid as part of this opportunity. Country Arts SA will provide assistance with freight costs.
- Artworks are expected to be for sale as part of the exhibition. Selected artists will be required to sign an Exhibition Agreement with the Adelaide Town Hall which will outline the commission on sales. If you wish to view this agreement, please contact the Country Arts SA Visual Arts Coordinator prior to application.
- Artists will be selected based on artistic merit and overall suitability to the curatorial rationale and exhibition space. The ACC Emerging Curator will work with Country Arts SA’s Visual Arts Coordinator and a regional representative to select artists.
- Feedback will be offered following the selection process, but no correspondence will be entered into
regarding the selection of artists.
Image: Launch of ‘Craft Anonymous’, 2015. Photo by Lara Merrington.
APPLY NOW TO EXHIBIT AS PART OF Close to Home AT THE ADELAIDE TOWN HALL MAIN FOYER
As part of the 2015/16 Adelaide City Council Emerging Curators Program
HOW TO APPLY:
EOIs must include:
- 1 page artist CV listing relevant professional and exhibition history
- a short artist biography (maximum 1/2 page)
- an artist statement reflecting on the artworks you propose to exhibit. (maximum 1/2 page)
- a maximum of 5 images of proposed artwork and recent works. Images should be 300 dpi and measure no less than 12 cm along one edge.
- If you would like to submit video or moving image artwork please contact the Visual Arts Coordinator prior to applying.
PLEASE NOTE: additional material will not be considered as part of the application unless approved by the Country Arts SA Visual Arts Coordinator prior to submission.
Selected artists will be required to sign an Exhibition Agreement with the Adelaide Town Hall. If you wish to view this agreement, please contact the Country Arts SA Visual Arts Coordinator prior to application.
Expressions of interest closing date: 5:00pm Thursday 25 February 2016
Applicants notified of the outcome: no later than Friday 4 March 2016
Artworks finalised, artist information due: no later than Monday 28 March 2016
Installation date: Tuesday 12 April 2016
Exhibition opening celebration: 5:30 – 7:30 pm Thursday 21 April 2016
Exhibition date: Thursday 14 April – Friday 3 June 2016
De-installation dates: After 5:00pm Friday 3 June 2015
If the exhibition is suitable for touring, a potential tour would run: June 2017 – May 2019 (TBC)
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED TO THE VISUAL ARTS COORDINATOR NO LATER THAN 5:00 pm THURSDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2016.
If sending by post, applications must be post marked by 5:00pm Thursday 25 February 2016. Late applications will not be considered for this project.
Applicants will be emailed to confirm receipt of the EOI. If you do not receive this email within 48 hours of submitting your application please contact the Visual Arts team to confirm receipt.
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO:
Visual Arts Coordinator
Country Arts SA
2 McLaren Parade
PORT ADELAIDE SA 5015
[email protected] with the subject line “Close to Home EOI”
Eleanor Scicchitano, Country Arts SA Visual Arts Coordinator
e. [email protected] p. (08) 8444 0425
Joanna Kitto, Adelaide City Council Emerging Curator
e. [email protected]